Silson AC strongly believes in nurturing young athletic talent and does this through its ’Juniors’ section. This section of the club welcomes young athletes from the age 8 years old, who can run continuously for one mile and have the maturity fully to participate in a training session. From the age of 16 our Juniors graduate to our Seniors section of the club.
The junior training season begins in September:
- For children who are developing their running skills and fitness (generally children who are in Years 3-6 at school) these sessions take place at Sponne School on a Tuesday night at 6.15-7.30pm. These sessions usually include a run around Towcester as well as indoor athletics and agility exercises.
- For our more experienced and stronger juniors (generally School Years 7 upwards) training takes place on a Wednesday night at 6.30-7.45pm, with sessions being held at Silverstone Circuit.
From April onwards all Silson AC juniors switch training on a Friday evening at 6.30-7.45pm and these sessions take place on the athletics track at Stowe School. Training continues up to just before the start of the school summer holidays towards the end of July.
As the children’s skills develop, they are expected to represent the club in local and regional competitions:
- During the autum/winter months, the club competes in the Results Base Chiltern Cross Country League with the juniors points being added to those gained by the club’s senior runners. Also, our juniors race against each other in the Junior Cup, which takes place on multi-terrain surfaces.
- During the spring/summer months, the juniors compete in various Athletics Open Meetings against other clubs.
- Throughout the year our juniors are free and encouraged to participate in any other events appropriate for their age and ability.
All prospective members must first contact Lindsey Thomas prior to attending a training session or submitting a membership form, just in case a waiting list is in operation.
If you are interested in joining, please read the junior welcome pack (which can be found on the Join Us page) carefully, it will tell you everything you need to know about training days and times, event participation and much more. There are however, a couple of things that we would like to highlight:
- Juniors are expected to attend every training session (we do understand that they may miss the odd session through illness, injury or a birthday).
- Juniors are expected to represent the club in competition / events – this almost always happens on a Saturday, up to 12 times a year.
- We do not accept new members who are on the waiting list to join other athletics clubs under any circumstances.
Being a Silson AC junior is a significant commitment and we feel that it is really important to point this out to you before your child joins. If you wish for your child to join the Silson AC juniors, please visit our Join Us page.