Silson AC strongly believes in nurturing young athletic talent and does this through its ’Juniors’ section. This section of the club welcomes young athletes from the age 12 years old, who can run continuously for one mile and have the maturity fully to participate in a training session.
Summer training is at the athletics track at Stowe School on Fridays for a 6.30pm – 7:45pm session.
In the autumn / winter, training switches to Silverstone Circuit (6.30pm-7.45pm).
Training sessions involve the children participating in runs of various distance. This might include speed work, hill reps or working together as part of a relay team.
As the children’s skills develop, they are expected to represent the club in local and regional competitions:
- During the autum/winter months, the club competes in the Results Base Chiltern Cross Country League with the juniors points being added to those gained by the club’s senior runners. Also, our juniors race against each other in the Junior Cup, which takes place on multi-terrain surfaces.
- During the spring/summer months, the juniors compete in various Athletics Open Meetings against other clubs.
- Throughout the year our juniors are free and encouraged to participate in any other events appropriate for their age and ability.
All prospective members must first contact Silson Chairperson prior to attending a training session or submitting a membership form, just in case a waiting list is in operation.
If you are interested in joining, please read the junior welcome pack (which can be found on the Join Us page) carefully, it will tell you everything you need to know about training days and times, event participation and much more. There are however, a couple of things that we would like to highlight:
- Juniors are expected to attend every training session (we do understand that they may miss the odd session through illness, injury or a birthday).
- Juniors are expected to represent the club in competition / events – this almost always happens on a Saturday, up to 12 times a year.
- We do not accept new members who are on the waiting list to join other athletics clubs under any circumstances.
Being a Silson AC junior is a significant commitment and we feel that it is really important to point this out to you before your child joins. If you wish for your child to join the Silson AC juniors, please visit our Join Us page.